Experience the Freedom Offered by Implant-supported Dentures
Missing teeth can greatly impact your quality of life, and dentures have been a tried and true method of restoration for decades. Today, implant-supported dentures take traditional dentures to the next level of security and functionality. At Dentistry at 1818 Market St., we offer implant-supported dentures in Philadelphia that allow our patients to eat, speak, and smile with confidence. Dental implants are tiny titanium posts surgically embedded in the jaw, where they fuse with the surrounding bone and mimic the function of tooth roots. Implants provide a secure foundation for dentures, in addition to providing a wealth of other benefits. Drs. Maurry Leas and Jonathan Siegel have extensive experience in implant placement and restoration using customized, natural-looking dentures. To learn more about implant-supported dentures, contact our Philadelphia office today and schedule a consultation.
Implant-supported dentures attach either directly to dental implants or customized abutments topping the posts. This type of denture can be secured by as few as four implants, although some patients may require more. Implant-supported dentures can also be fixed or removable. Our dentists can create a plan for you based on your current condition, including the density of your jaw bone, the restoration materials you choose, and your unique treatment goals.
The Restoration Process
Before your implant-supported denture is placed, your implants will need to be surgically inserted into the jawbone and fully heal. Some patients may require a bone graft (to strengthen a weak or small jawbone) or sinus lift treatment (to make room for the implant) prior to their surgery, procedures which our dentists can facilitate for you. You will wear a temporary denture while your dental implants are healing and creating a secure foundation with the surrounding bone tissue.
To ensure your customized implant-supported denture fits comfortably and snugly over your implants, our dentists will take impressions of your gums after your implants have been placed and healed. These impressions are used, along with detailed notes on your aesthetic goals, to create your dentures. We can make any adjustments necessary to your denture in our office until you are fully satisfied with your new smile.
Implant-supported Denture Benefits
In addition to providing unmatched durability, implant-supported dentures offer a wealth of benefits:
- Unlike other restorative treatments, dental implants stimulate the jaw bone like tooth roots. This prevents bone cells from being resorbed by the body, and effectively halts the jaw deterioration that results from tooth loss.
- Implant-supported dentures are more comfortable than traditional dentures. Because they are secured in place, they will not become loose or fall out, so patients can speak, eat, and smile with greater confidence.
- Patients can avoid the messy adhesives needed to hold traditional dentures in place.
- Because implants stimulate the jaw bone, patients do not need to receive replacement dentures as often. Traditional dentures require periodic adjustments as a patient’s jaw bone and surrounding gums eventually shrink and change shape.
- Implant-supported dentures add definition to a patient’s facial structure, guarding against the sunken and aged appearance that can occur after extensive tooth loss.